Hi! I’m Melissa Engel- college junior, running enthusiast, and medical enigma. Before you read my blog, here are some things you should know about me:
- I love running- everything about it, from training and racing to Runner’s World and the incredible running community. It’s 100% true, and I hope to show you how to find enjoyment in this sport! I ran cross-country and track in high school and now enjoy competing in a variety of road races. The half marathon is my favorite distance, and I hope to run a marathon in the near future.
- My body is a bit of an autoimmune disaster. I have life-threatening food allergies to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and shellfish; asthma; type 1 diabetes, hypothyroidism, and undifferentiated connective tissue disease. Now, what exactly is the latter? No doctors seem to know- just what every patient wants to hear! However, I have tried to make the best of what life has thrown at me by giving back to the food allergy and diabetes communities.
- My family is my greatest source of happiness. I am extremely fortunate to call my mom, dad, and younger brother, Daniel, my best friends. We love running together, having family dinners every night, and playing our favorite game, Monopoly Deal. Being away from these people while at school is the most challenging experience I have ever dealt with.
- I want to be a clinical psychologist in a pediatric hospital for kids with chronic diseases, and I’m studying psychology and neuroscience at Emory University. Children make me smile more than anything else, and I often feel that I am better at understanding kids than people my own age.
- I am a thoughtful, passionate overachiever. I set very high standards for myself in all aspects of life, which is not always a good thing! Downtime is what I fear most, so I constantly find myself with a jam-packed schedule. I put my heart into everything I do and strive to show my friends and family that I care.
About the Blog
While this blog is largely based on running, I will also be sure to highlight the daily obstacles I face while dealing with diabetes and food allergies. I hope that my stories inspire you- to keep running strong, sign up for your first race, volunteer to help sick children, or advocate for yourself in the face of adversity. I will also showcase fresh recipes, unique crafts, fashion favorites, and breathtaking books. Enjoy!
I’d love to hear from you!
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org